E-ISSN 1305-3612
1 Division of Interventional Radiology, Department of Thoracic Surgery, WeiFang People’s 2nd Hospital, WeiFang, China  
2 Department of Interventional Radiology, Shandong Medical Imaging Research Institute, Shandong University, Jinan, China  
Diagn Interv Radiol ; : -




To evaluate the role of cone-beam computed tomography (CT) performed as an adjunct to angiography for the determination of feeding vessels responsible for bleeding during arterial embolization for massive hemoptysis.



In a retrospective study from December 2014 to December 2017, 23 patients with massive hemoptysis undergoing cone-beam CT evaluation prior to arterial embolization were included. During the angiographic session, two interventional radiologists selected the possible feeding vessels that were likely to supply the bleeding target lesions. Contrast enhanced cone-beam CT was performed at the indefinite feeding arteries as an adjunct to angiography to determine whether the artery was a real feeding vessel based on whether the target lesion was detected in the perfused territory of the study artery on images.



Selective cone-beam CT was successfully performed at 26 possible feeding vessels  that were detected by selective angiography. The 26 successful cone-beam CT acquisitions in 21 patients were reviewed. The determination rate of feeding vessel with cone-beam CT achieved 92.3% (24/26) in the 26 study arteries or 90.5% (19/21) in the 21 patients. As a result, A total of 16 (66.7%, 16/24) study arteries were judged as definitively not feeding vessels, and the other 8 (33.3%, 8/24) study arteries were judged as definitively feeding vessels. There were 2 (7.7%, 2/26) study arteries in which cone-beam CT did not allow for the determination of  feeding vessel.



Cone-beam CT performed as an adjunctive technique to angiography is sufficient to provide adequate informations for the confident determination of feeding vessel, which is essential for the operators to perform accurate embolization during arterial embolization for massive hemoptysis.



Key Words
Author's Corner
Reviewer's Corner
Copyright © Turkish Society of Radiology | Latest Update: 31.12.2018